What a night! Word Music Group hosted a great writers night featuring Michael Farren, (from Pocket Full of Rocks) Mike Weaver (from Big Daddy Weave), Adam Agee (from Stellar Kart), Jason Roy (from Building 429), and Mark Roach. There were some really great songs that WILL be featured in some upcoming worship services very soon.
The highlight of the night was the surprise guest: Amy Grant. I could say so much about her set, but let me say a just couple of things:
- I had a huge crush in Amy during high school. in college, we had the life-size cut-out of Amy (the one from “Unguarded” where she was wearing the leopard-print jacket on the cover…) in our window in the house I lived in with four other guys.
- “The church” has mistreated Amy Grant. Remember when she was the first Christian cross-over artist? She was labeled a sell-out and her passion for Christ questioned. She was (to the best of my remembrance) the first person to consider herself a Christian entertainer (so that she could reach a larger audience in the end), and “the church” just didn’t get it.
- Amy was very brave to come sing to a group of people from an organization that has pretty much turned its back on her.
- Amy ROCKED! It was incredible to “see” the voice I’ve listened to for so many years. It was surreal in a way. The falsetto licks… the pronunciations… it was all there.
- The last song she sang, a song she wrote to help her memorize Ephesians 6, was like listening to the ultimate culmination of her entire career. It was brilliant.
My final thought it this: I cannot believe that THE MOMENT I stepped out of the room, JVo got his picture with Amy. Dang!